It’s nearly one year ago since the third in line to the throne, Prince George, Alexander, Louis Cambridge emerged out of St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington in the arms of two very proud parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
As Prince George gets set to blow out his candle, we look at the highs and just a few not so highs of the last year.
- A very successful tour of Australia and New Zealand. Showing every intention of being thoroughly modern parents William continued where his mother left off and took baby George on their tour. Highlights included meeting a Bilby (cute but no I’d never heard of one either) named George at Sydney’s Taronga Zoo
- The iconic picture of four generations of the Royal family at his Christening, something people will look back on for centuries to come
- Becoming a media darling (and hats off to Kate for walking down several plane steps with the world watching, carrying George and wearing high heels)
- Getting a play-mate. Princess Anne’s daughter, Zara had a little girl called Mia, a few months ago
- Being voted the best dressed Royal (no seriously…)
Not quite so high…
- William and Kate came under fire for the cost of renovating their home leading the Duchess to be harshly deemed ‘Two Kitchen’s Kate’ by the tabloids.
- George was described by his father as ‘a silver lining’ to his life but also as ‘noisy, ravenous and destructive’
- Those persistent 'Are you pregnant again yet? rumours about his Mother. Leave the poor woman alone
- Being subjected to a controversial airbrushing incident when apparently he looked too pale for US Weekly (but he has been on the cover of Vanity Fair)
I remember seeing the huge crowds outside Buckingham Palace celebrating on the hot summer’s night that Prince George was born.
There’s no doubt looking at this first year that the interest and excitement about this little boy will continue. Let’s hope the seemingly happy balance between what is public and what is private does as well.
Find out more about Prince George