: THE CABINET
The Home Office
The current Home Secretary is the Rt Hon Priti Patel MP who was appointed to the post after the Conservative Leadership Contest in 2019. This saw Boris Johnson MP become Prime Minister. Her predecessor, Sajid Javid became Chancellor of The Exchequer.
About the Home Office and the Secretary of State for the Home Department
The Home Office leads on immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime policy and counter-terrorism and works to ensure visible, responsive and accountable policing in the UK.
The Home Office is responsible for:
- working on the problems caused by illegal drug use
- shaping the alcohol strategy, policy and licensing conditions
- keeping the United Kingdom safe from the threat of terrorism
- reducing and preventing crime, and ensuring people feel safe in their homes and communities
- securing the UK border and controlling immigration
- considering applications to enter and stay in the UK
- issuing passports and visas
- supporting visible, responsible and accountable policing by empowering the public and freeing up the police to fight crime